It is very important to have diverse experience across industries and IT functions to be a good CIO
When asked how he planned his career path to be a successful Chief Information Officer, Vipin Rustagi, Chief Information Officer (CIO) at Duroflex, in an exclusive interview with CIO News, said, “I started my journey as a hard-core developer in the year 2005.” With an MBA in 2009, I gradually moved into business consulting and IT leadership roles. Since then, it has been a path of continuous learning. It is very important to have diverse experience across industries and IT functions to be a good CIO. There are no shortcuts. I focused on the following important learnings:
- Good handle on digital and technology with a view of how it impacts business and unlocks value.
- Be a Leader, not a Boss. Focus on People.
- Good engagement with stakeholders and right governance.
- Understanding of organisational data and how to generate insights.
When asked about challenges he faced in his career path and how he overcame them, he said, “The most important challenge is to have a full view of enterprise and its relevant technology needs.” It is very important to have digital deployment experience across key functional areas and business touch points in the organisation.
When asked about challenges faced by Chief Information Officers today while implementing digital technologies, he said:
- Culture: Prepare the overall ecosystem and outlook of the organization.
- Process: Setup the right processes on the ground and the required change management.
- Technology: Selecting and implementing the right technologies collaboratively.
When asked how Chief Information Officers can overcome the challenges faced, he said, “The CIO agenda should be not only technology but how to drive the right culture and setup the right processes.”
When asked about best practices, industry trends, or advice he would like to suggest to fellow Chief Information Officers for their successful professional journeys, he said:
- Keep the focus on data and insights. It’s a game changer.
- Always try to bring the outside into perspective. Technologies are changing fast. The next 10 years will be about who has the best technology in the organisation.
- Focus on creating a digital core consisting of cross-functional teams to ensure collaboration, continuity, and ownership.
- Enough attention should be paid to cyber security and data security.
- Building the right skills and talents within the team.
CIO News, a proprietary of Mercadeo, produces award-winning content and resources for IT leaders across any industry through print articles and recorded video interviews on topics in the technology sector such as Digital Transformation, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Cloud, Robotics, Cyber-security, Data, Analytics, SOC, SASE, among other technology topics