I Implemented technology in a comprehensive manner, with long-term orientation, and cost-effectiveness, and provided training and awareness programs to the users frequently and kept them updated and engaged
When asked how he planned his career path to be a successful Head of Technology, Palanikumar Arumugam, Head of Technology at Shiksha Financial Services India Private Ltd, in an exclusive interview with CIO News, said, I started my carrier as System Administrator and continued to learn more new technologies and concepts. I was often involved in developing the applications and implementations. Technology is an ocean and learning never stops. I moved towards infrastructure and network technologies. I was more interested in implementing new technologies and integrating them with others. When introduced to InfoSec, I came to know about the importance of Information Security, liked to learn more about InfoSec and Cyber-Security comprehensively, and completed security certifications CISA and CDPSE from ISACA. I practiced implementing the technologies on a need basis at an affordable cost and minimal time frame. While implementing any technologies, I kept system security in mind and took care of the same. Any system implemented should be safe and secure. It should be available for users at all times to use.
Management relationship, strategy planning, team leadership, security process, business alignment, vendor management, and tech selection are the keys to being a successful Head of Technology.
When asked about challenges he faced in his career path and how he overcame them, he said:
- Day to day changes in Business
- Frequent changes in technologies
- Technology availability
- Technology cost and timeline
- User Training and Awareness
To overcome all these issues, I implemented service and support management processes and procedures, system automation, etc. I Implemented technology in a comprehensive manner, with long-term orientation, and cost-effectiveness, and provided training and awareness programs to the users frequently and kept them updated and engaged.
When asked about challenges faced by tech leaders today in a similar industry while implementing digital technologies, he said:
- Skill-set Gap
- System Scalability
- Remote Work
- Material Availability on Markets
- Cyber-security Threads
- Data Protection
- Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery
- Finding and Retaining Talent
When asked how tech leaders can overcome the challenges, he said:
- Control, Process, and Policy change
- New tools to improve productivity
- Process Automation (AI/ML etc.)
- Thread Protection tools
- System rental or increase stock
- Internal training and awareness program
To overcome the challenges, technology leaders need to implement new processes and procedures and new technologies and tools.
When asked about best practices/industry trends/advice he would like to suggest to fellow tech leaders for their successful professional journeys, he said:
- Keep learning new technologies
- Align to global best practices like ISO, ISACA, and ISC2, etc.
- Always plan comprehensive and implement solutions for long term
- Understand people, processes, and technology clearly and thoroughly
- Accept the changes happening from time to time and act accordingly
- Everything is possible by technology
- See technology as a necessity
- Spending on technology is an investment and not an expense
- Technology is a business enabler
- Use technology for the right things and in the right way
CIO News, a proprietary of Mercadeo, produces award-winning content and resources for IT leaders across any industry through print articles and recorded video interviews on topics in the technology sector such as Digital Transformation, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Cloud, Robotics, Cyber-security, Data, Analytics, SOC, SASE, among other technology topic